It’s pumpkin season, and of course here I am making everything savory. I do love my pumpkin sweets, but I think pumpkin is underutilized when it comes to savory dishes.
This pumpkin risotto is fully dairy-free and vegan — I just added an egg on top to turn it more into a full-blown meal. But you can skip the egg and add protein with crispy chickpeas, white beans, etc. Or just enjoy the risotto on its own (but I also won’t judge you if you add some freshly grated Parmesan cheese).
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or ghee)
1 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic
4 cups cauliflower rice
1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 oz vegetable stock
Optional: Fresh parsley
1. Heat a large part over medium-low heat. Add olive oil, then add onions and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes until onions are translucent. Stir occasionally to prevent garlic from burning.
2. Add the cauliflower rice, pumpkin puree, and salt. Mix together, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add 1/2 cup (4 oz) of vegetable stock at a time, and bring to a low boil. Continue to cook until liquid has been reduced (about 5-7 minutes). Stir frequently.
4. Repeat this process until all the liquid has been added to the pot and has been absorbed. Sauce should be thick and creamy by the end.
5. Finish off with fresh parsley, salt, and pepper. Add any desired toppings (I used a poached egg).