- 10 oz mozzarella string cheese (or 10 sticks)
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Take out a cutting board and cut your string cheese sticks into bite size pieces.
- In a medium sized bowl, add your eggs and whisk to break them up. Add the milk and whisk again to incorporate the two ingredients.
- Set aside two additional bowls. Fill one with your flour and the next with your bread crumbs. Place the bowl with your eggs and milk mixture in the middle of that line, so that you now have three bowls in a row (flour, eggs, bread crumbs).
- Take one piece of mozzarella. Dip it in the flour, then immediately in the egg mixture. Now, roll your cheese bite around in the bread crumbs. Continue to do this until you have all the pieces of cheese coated. You can place each finished piece on a plate once they are completed.
- In a medium sized skillet, heat your vegetable oil (about 2 inches high) to 350 degrees. (To test this, place a wooden spoon handle in the oil. If the bubbles are rolling on the handle, you’re ready.)
- Pull out a plate and line it with a paper towel.
- Add 5-7 pieces into the oil for about 30 seconds. Make sure that you keep them separated so that they don’t bond together!
- Fry your mozzarella bites until they are golden brown (which should be at that 30 second mark). Using a slotted spoon, remove your pieces from the oil and place them on the paper towels.
- Repeat this process with different batches until all of your bites are fried.
- Serve immediately with pasta sauce or just eat them by themselves!