2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter flavored shortening
1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, ginger, baking
soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and shortening with 1 cup sugar until light and
fluffy. Beat in the egg, then the water and molasses.
3. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into walnutsized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2
inches apart onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and flatten slightly.
4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet
for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Store in an airtight container.