Chocolate Peanut Butter Ooey Gooey Cake
- 2 sticks (226g) butter, melted
- 1 package (15.25 ounce) German chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs, one egg for bottom cake layer THEN two eggs for filling layer
- 1 package (8-ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350°F and prepare a 9×9-inch baking dish. (Some readers prefer 9×13 for this recipe!)
- Combine the cake mix, 1 egg (you will use the other two eggs elsewhere), and 1 stick melted butter (1/2 cup or 113g), and stir until well blended.
- Pat the mixture into prepared pan and set aside.
- In a stand mixer on medium speed (or using a hand-held mixer), beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs and the peanut butter.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the confectioners’ sugar. Slowly add the remaining 1 stick (1/2 cup) of melted butter. Add vanilla and continue to beat the mixture until smooth.
- Pour filling over cake mixture in pan. Bake for 50 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the cake; the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking. Let cake partially cool on a wire rack while you prepare the ganache.
- Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and peanut butter in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the cream on the stove and bring to a simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove pan from the stove and pour the hot cream on top of the chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and peanut butter.
- Stir gently to combine and keep stirring until all morsels are melted.
- Pour the ganache over the chocolate cake and let sit at room temperature for about an hour before cutting and serving.