- 10 mixed apples
- 1 cup apple juice
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- Slice the apples and remove the seeds. There’s no need to remove the peels for this recipe which saves a lot of time!
- Add the sugars, spices, and juice and stir it all together.
- Put on the lid and set it to low for 10 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid, use a hand blender or stand-up blender to blend it to a smooth consistency. You may have to do it in batches if you’re using a regular blender.
- Keeping the lid off, set the heat back to low (which may say 10 hours), set a timer, and cook for another 2 hours. Stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Slice the apples and remove the seeds. No need to peel them.
- Add the apples, juice or cider, sugars, and spices to a large stockpot and stir it all together.
- Set the heat to low and let it gently simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Use a hand blender or stand-up blender and puree the mixture until it’s smooth. You may have to do this in batches.
- Cook, uncovered, on low for another hour or until it’s thick and has a deep rich brown color stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and lemon juice.