“A flavorful homemade recipe for those who are tired of sweet pasta sauces. Serve over your favorite pasta with a tossed green salad and crusty garlic bread.”
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can canned tomato sauce
- <br /><br />1 teaspoon salt
- <br /><br /> <br />1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- <br />1 teaspoon dried basil<br />
- <br />1 teaspoon dried oregano<br />
- <br />1 bay leaf<br />
Removed casing from sausage links and cut into 1/2 inch slices. In a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat for about 10 minutes; remove and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat ground beef, olive oil, garlic and onion over medium heat until meat is nicely browned; drain.
Pour in tomatoes and tomato sauce; mix in salt, ground black pepper, basil, oregano, bay leaf and cooked sausage. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Mix cooked sauce with hot pasta and remove bay leaf from sauce before serving.